The whole concept of being selfish gets a bad rap. You know that pre-flight routine that no one ever listens to? Where the flight attendants stand at the front of the cabin playing with that mock-up of a seat belt and the flimsy oxygen mask. And that recorded announcement from the 70s comes on that says:
“Should an emergency situation occur, you need to put your own oxygen mask on first before attempting to help those around you.”
Life is like that, too. On the plane and off the plane, you have to take care of you first. When you take care of your self, you have the strength of mind and body to achieve your goals – and then to be of service to others.
Think about right now and how your day unfolds. Do you get up, shower, check emails and get right to work? Or do you exercise, meditate, exfoliate and apply SPF, too? Ask yourself, what have I done today to take care of my mental and physical health?
It’s not that hard to do. You can incorporate any number of things into your daily routine that will help to strengthen your mind and body, boost your overall health – and be just a bit more SELF/ish.
Ten things you can do to take care of your self:
- Get the right amount of sleep. The Sleep Foundation recommends 7-9 hours for healthy adults.
- Do a quick morning workout like yoga to refresh your mind and body. All you need is a blanket. There are thousands of yoga classes available on YouTube! Just search “beginner yoga”. One of our favorites is this “15 Min Daily Yoga Routine for Beginners”.
- Stick to an effective, healthy skincare regimen that includes cleansing, exfoliating and moisturizing. Of course, we recommend a SELF/ish skincare routine!
- Download a meditation app like Headspace or Calm and set aside 15 minutes each day to meditate and ground yourself.
- Call or text a friend you’ve lost touch with. Being connected to others is part of what makes us human. And it feels good!
- Unplug from your technology (yeah, we said that!) to give your brain some much-needed daily downtime.
- Consider keeping a daily journal to “get it out” of your head.
- Write a daily affirmation on a sticky note and post it on the bathroom mirror. Something like “You Got This Today” or “This is Happiness”. Whatever inspires you!
- Block out 30 minutes or an hour on your calendar for yourself. If you can, limit work and emails on the weekends.
- Remember to put your mask on first.